Nosgoth Alternatives

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nosgoth Alternatives - Page 2 Empty Re: Nosgoth Alternatives

Post by Grisamentum Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Yeah I don't understand why they couldn't just finish it off & make it pay to play & we could host our own servers. Surely spending the money to do that would be preferable to throwing away millions & 3 years of work.

I found another game the other day called Dino D-Day. It's American soldiers Vs Nazis but there are dinosaurs aswell. 
There are 2 raptors which are first person only but the other dinosaurs are 3rd person. Humans are first person only.
The microraptor can kind of fly & spit acid which blinds people. There's another raptor which can do pounce, though I couldn't figure out how.

The other dinosaurs all have guns attached to them :

Like all the other pvp games I've tried you get zero health so you die pretty quickly. I think my best was 3 kills before dying. 
It takes no time at all to find matches & some of them seem to go on forever. Like instead of the game ending after 2 matches you just keep going. 
Out of all the replacements for Nosgoth I've tried this one is the most fun so far. The humans are all pretty much the same except the guns they have but the dinosaurs are all really varied & loads of fun. There are dinosaurs on both teams, btw, so you don't have to play human at all if you don't want to.
It's usually £6.99 but it's only 69p in the Steam sale right now so if you're interested get it asap.

I played a bit of Zombie Army, Lucin. Not the multiplayer just the single player campaign thing. I love the soundtrack, it's just like an 80s horror movie with all those analogue synths & the zombies look & sound amazing. It's almost like another Resident Evil but without the dodgy controls.

I also got Injustice : Gods Among Us which isn't really a Nosgoth alternative but :
Doomsday is kind of like a Tyrant :

Solomon Grundy is aswell :

Raven looks like a Summoner in that robes of the imperial guard skin with the purple hood :

And the Green Arrow looks like a Scout :

Tyrant Vs Scout on Freeport :

Nosgoth Alternatives - Page 2 VdKAQIK

Ground Slam :

Nosgoth Alternatives - Page 2 PpFPoE7

Smile
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah I completely think the same as you about why they didn’t just make it pay to play and finish it but oh well what are we to know, we’re not CEOs of a big game company.

I’ve just had a look at Dino D-Day and that looks really random, can you pick to be dinosaurs or do you not get to choose, because that’s third person so I could play that side of it, with a little bit of the first person thrown in.

In Injustice can you fight against your friends? I do like a good beat ‘em up! (and superheros).
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

http://www.talesofnosgoth.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:31 pm

You can choose yeah. On the Allies side there is only one dinosaur - it's 3rd person & has a gun on it's back - but Axis has a few which are either 1st or 3rd. I think the 2 raptors are 1st person but all the others are 3rd. If you do get it then know that to change class you press the comma key after you've died. I thought you were stuck playing the same character the whole game. Had to google.

Evolve is another asymmetrical pvp which just went f2p recently :

The monsters look really cool, imo but I heard it's not that great. There was a review on Steam where someone said you just wander around looking for the monster for ages while it's evading you & becoming more powerful then it jumps out & kills you all in seconds. If you play as the monster then you're just sneaking around & eating these smaller monsters which make you evolve & become stronger then you jump out & kill everyone. 
They should make it like Nosgoth & have multiple monsters at once.
I might try it out one day but I'm not in a massive hurry.

I checked out that Hazard Ops game on Steam - alot of the reviews said it's full of hackers & is p2w. Apparently there are weapons that cost like £20 that are better than any weapon you can buy with in-game currency so you'll just get beat in pvp. 

I haven't played Injustice online yet. I think if you want to play with friends that might be ok but not if you want to play against random people.

This post isn't too enthusiastic about it :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/242700/discussions/0/522728813951198843/

I got Overwatch, btw. It's not the same as Nosgoth but it's as much fun as Nosgoth was. It's the only pvp I've found that has the same kind of strategy as Nosgoth & even though it's not asymmetrical there are characters & abilities that counter each other so you can change class to suit whoever you're fighting against. 
There's a guy called Junkrat with a grenade launcher & a girl called Pharah who can fly so it's kind of like Alc Vs Sentinel, for example. He can't really counter her.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Hmmm that’s interesting to know about Evolve, it’s worth a look I suppose as it’s free to play but yeah it probably won’t compare if it’s just sneaking around and then a one off kill.

Yeah I downloaded Hazard Ops in the end but never played it due to its not available in all countries and the person/people I’d play with its not available there so that blew that out the window.

Ok maybe I’ll take a look at Dino D-Day and good to know more about Overwatch, what’s the community like for it? I’ve stepped away from pvp atm because I can’t face humans being human, maybe once I’ve got my strength up I’ll give it a go. I still think though you need shades to play it lol.

I’ve been playing Hounds:  The Last Hope atm on co-op, this is pretty fun; it reminds us of some old school stuff. I think the more people you can get to play together the more fun it’ll be.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:44 pm

The Overwatch community has been ok so far. There have been a couple of nerdragers that were bitching cos people weren't playing the right characters or weren't playing well enough but only a few so far. I haven't tried ranked yet as you need to be level 25 at least but I'm expecting it to be full of crybabies like Nosgoth.

Yeah alot of Overwatch is pretty bright but I think most of the maps look awesome regardless. Hanamura has all these Buddhist temples & is surrounded by mountains & there's a huge Egyptian temple & Lijiang Tower & King's Row in London look amazing. Even Hollywood which looks pretty uninteresting to me is still fun to play. There's usually alot of variation in height so snipers have places to pick people off from, for example, & lots of different paths you can take. Similar to Nosgoth.

Do you have Skyrim? You can play it in 1st or 3rd person so maybe you could try that & play in 1st until you started to feel weird then switch to 3rd & keep alternating between them & perhaps you'd get used to it eventually.

Hounds looks alright. I might try it one day, I'm kind of obsessed with Overwatch right now, though.

I found this other game called Smite :

I'm not really into the graphics, looks to like WoW, imo, but could be fun. Some of the characters look alright. It's f2p on Steam.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Ok that's good to know that the community isnt a bunch of toxic teenagers. I'll maybe give it a go at some point but I'm not going to pay £45 for it and maybe not play it/like it, I'll wait for the price to drop I think. I don't have Skyrim at the moment but that is maybe a good idea to see if I can train myself to get passed my sickness with it. I looked at Smite and the same as you I thought it was a little meh and WoW looking for my tastes. Glad you've found something to enjoy atm though Smile
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm

You can get the basic edition for £30. On the site you can choose from 3 different variations, at the top of the screen it says 'choose your edition'. The £45 one has some extra skins & some stuff for other Blizzard games, none of which I want at all.
You can unlock new skins in-game with in-game currency you earn when you level up although since all you can see is your character's gun & maybe their arm there isn't alot of point to them. They should make new guns. It's a shame that some of the skins are so awesome & you can see practically nothing of them.

If you're interested then maybe watch some videos of it on Youtube. I watched all the guides to the characters & a few playthroughs before I got it.

I was watching this video about Evolve & all the changes they've made to it :

It looks really awesome, the environment is all barren & grey like Soul Reaver & the weapons & monsters look great aswell. Hopefully the gameplay isn't as boring as people say.

You should get Skyrim soon as they're releasing a remastered edition in October which will be free if you have the original. You can get weapons that steal souls, btw... Smile
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Ok £30 isn’t as bad for it; I’ll try to watch some videos before making a decision. I agree with you on the skins front, what’s the point if you can’t see how cool you are!

That seems interesting about Evolve, maybe it’ll be worth a look as if F2P, if it’s boring then there’s always the option of delete and nothing is lost.

I’ve been toying with the idea of Skyrim for a while now, people keep trying to get me to play it, and that’s a good idea about the 3rd and 1st person. Good to get it before the new one then too! Very Happy
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:02 pm

I just randomly come across a third person F2P PVP game called Panzar, has anyone heard of it or played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/240320/

Some news site compared the gameplay/abilities and stuff to Nosgoth.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:40 pm

I was actually going to post that the other day but thought against it since quite a few of the reviews said it had become p2w & not alot of people play it. It looks like this generic WoW kind of fantasy thing so I'm not particularly interested but it could still be fun I suppose. I grew to love Overwatch's cartoony graphics so you never know.

I'd tell any LOK fan to get Skyrim. Alot of the architecture is similar imo, like here for example :

Nosgoth Alternatives - Page 2 259193-1381080298

Or here :

Nosgoth Alternatives - Page 2 SR-place-Bleak_Falls_Barrow

There's also thousands of mods you can get for it so you can change or add pretty much anything to the game - like this which gives you a bunch of druid spells & a giant treehouse :

Or this one lets you turn into different animals :

Or this one which makes the weather affect you :

You can also get the soul reaver sword & I think Kain's iron armour, amongst other things.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Yeah but people used to whine about Nosgoth being P2W, so if it’s a free game I try to take it with a pinch of salt until I’ve tried it because sometimes it’s just people raging because they got stomped – of course though other times not so much. It is very WoW looking and I get what you mean it seems to be a WoW clone MOBA or nothing now-a-days.

I always thought Skyrim was a multiplayer but was told you have to get a mod or something to get that capability in it. I was also told about a couple of mods which I liked the sound for but that was for the Dawnguard version…which I need to get hold of because you know vampires! I'm going to get these both when I get paid!
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Yeah that's true, I remember people whinging about Nosgoth saying it was p2w which it never ever was. I might try it eventually.

Skyrim has a 2 player mod but it doesn't really work properly. You can run around Skyrim together but the enemies & other characters are randomly generated so you can't fight together, you don't see the same stuff on your screen...I don't really see the point to be honest.

Dawnguard is one of the DLC's. It's about vampires yeah. You can become a vampire lord which is a floating monster thing. He can do batform actually. I think he attacks people as a swarm of bats or something.
The Legendary edition has all 3 DLC's. Dragonborn has this HP Lovecraft-influenced otherworld called Apocrypha which has these cthulhu priest monsters. It's awesome.
Hearthfire just lets you build a home for your character. It's ok but there are mods which add awesome player homes so I don't really care about it.

There is the Elder Scrolls Online game but it got slagged off pretty badly when it was released so I never tried it. Also mmorpg's just seem like a massive time waste to me so I'd rather stick with Nosgoth-type online games. Short matches etc. It might have improved now. I think they patched it alot & updated it.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Oh that’s pretty sucky about Skyrim and co-op playability, those DLC sound interesting I may just get it to play and try them out! Thanks for the information. I’m going to get ESO this weekend just because it looks quite good, I’ll let you know what it’s like when I get playing it.

Yeah that was one plus about Nosgoth you could play for 20 mins or a few hours depending on how much time you had to play. I did like that about that type of game, suppose I just have to find one that pulls me in like Nosgoth did but atm there's nothing that really that floats my boat.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 am

I heard ESO has improved alot since it was released. It was pay to play but also required a monthly subscription which they got rid of, I think. I might try it one day but I'm not in a hurry.

I got that game Battleborn in that Humble Bundle thing the other day : 

https://www.humblebundle.com/2k-games-bundle

I haven't installed it yet. It's supposed to be similar to Overwatch but it's a moba & has more depth to it. You can change abilities or level them up or something. I forget exactly but it's something that Overwatch lacks. You can't change weapons or switch abilities like you could in Nosgoth so it gets a bit boring sometimes.
Maybe Battleborn will be closer to Nosgoth.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:05 pm

ESO is pretty interesting from what I’ve played so far, but I haven’t played long only a few hours, I can see why people get immersed in this though.

Battleborn just looks like Overwatch to me, I remember seeing it at MCM London and just walking passed being like meh, let me know if it’s actually worth looking into though.

I got Skyrim and Dawnguard as there was a 24 hr sale on Steam for them, bargain! (now I have to find the time to play).
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey I wrote this big whinge about Battleborn but after playing it more I decided I like it. 
It does have a few flaws such as - you only get 7 characters initially & you unlock 1 every 2 levels which is a mistake, imo, since I only liked 1 of the original 7 & it's only after getting to level 10 that i found another one that I liked. I've unlocked a few that are pretty cool so far but it was seriously off-putting to begin with.
Another issue I have with it is the sound design - some of the characters sound like they're firing pea shooters. It's totally powerless & unsatisfying. Fortunately there are a few characters whose sound design is better.

It's not asymmetrical but there are melee & ranged characters so it has similarities to Nosgoth (aswell as the obligatory pounce & turning invisible until you attack abilities which are in pretty much every pvp game apparently).
Hardly anyone plays it so you can wait 10 minutes for a match...that's another thing it has in common with Nosgoth Laughing

As you may have heard it's totally chaotic with 10 players on screen at once plus these robot minions & all of their projectiles. It makes it kind of hard to play. It has a single player mode which is really cool, some of the architecture & level design is really awesome but all really cartoony so you probably wouldn't be into it.

But yeah it does have a bunch of flaws but it's still loads of fun. It has more depth than Overwatch & more game modes & to be honest after playing Battleborn for a while going back to Overwatch can feel kinda simplistic. 

I was wondering if you got ESO when the sale was on. I remember you said you were getting it at the weekend then a few days later it was half price on Steam. I did consider it but I have enough unplayed games in my Steam library already.

Did you get the Dragonborn & Hearthfire DLC aswell?

Last edited by Grisamentum on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed my mind, basically)
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Ah yeah I did see you random rant about Battleborn but didn’t get chance to reply (very limited on time atm). Glad you found it better after playing it some more. Haha I didn’t realise that was such a common thing for those abilities, it’s a shame though yet again like most of the other games available it’s a similar looking design – light and colourful and more kiddy…or am I wrong here?  I saw it at MCM London Comic Con in May and was just like meh and walked away. Lol it was bad enough doing 5v5 in Nosgoth without having giant Robots in a match. That’s pretty interesting to hear though that it’s actually more interesting than Overwatch. I can’t remember is Battleborn first person or third?

Yeah I got ESO but sadly I got it before the sale – I could have kicked myself! I didn’t get the DLC at the time because I didn’t want to spend all the money and then not like the game. I’m liking it quite a lot. I seem to be playing ESO and Warframe atm and that’s it as I don’t really have much free time.

I did also take your recommendation and got Skyrim and the Dawnguard DLC but I haven’t had chance to look at it sadly…I need more hours in the day!
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:46 am

Battleborn is first person only. I think it would be better suited to third - there's so much going on & having some distance would make it easier to see who's doing what & where they are. Also the melee characters would be easier to use, I think.
People are saying it's nearly dead on PC & it'll be cancelled. Last week one day there was about 180 people playing it. It's usually around 500 but drops sometimes.
Pretty bad for a full price game just a few months after release.

Overwatch is totally simplistic, btw. No alternate weapons or abilities, no loadout, nothing. Probably why it's so popular. Kids & casuals like it. Also the hit boxes are giant. Battleborn's are alot smaller so it's harder & also alot more rewarding when you get a kill. I'm actually terrible at it but keep playing it anyway. 

Have you heard of Paragon? It's a f2p third person moba. Not cartoony crap for a change Smile

As you can see they have stolen the Scout's volley attack from Nosgoth.

This guy looks pretty cool :

And her :

I haven't tried it yet, I'm kind of sick of trying out new pvp games all the time looking for a replacement for Nosgoth. I've realised that there is infact no replacement for Nosgoth. Nothing I've played is as much fun or as clever or as satisfying. 

Btw, someone in the Discord chatroom said they had a developer version of Nosgoth which has Rahabim skins 1-5 in it & a bunch of abilities that don't belong to any other class. It's all encrypted or something so you can't see the textures, though.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:47 pm

I hadn’t heard of Paragon, it looks interesting from the videos…I think I’ll watch more online and may have to check it out as its F2P, if its crap then no love lost or money if you know what I mean.

Yeah I agree there is no replacement for Nosgoth and nothing at all like it, I just wish the devs would actually see this and why the game could have been a great success if they did what they should have done (fixed stuff, advertised etc).

That’s really interesting, shame though that its locked out, would give my right eye to have seen the models and stuff.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:04 am

I heard that some Nosgoth fans were looking into making a replacement for it. I don't know anything else about it, though.

You could reproduce it almost exactly as long as you change the names of things & their appearance & Squenix can't do anything about it. 
Look at Battleborn, Paladins & Overwatch & how blatantly they rip off TF2. They all copy character classes from it pretty much exactly, they just look different & have different names.
Most of the abilities in Nosgoth were copied from other things aswell - Disguise was copied from the Spy in TF2, Pounce is taken from the Hunter in L4D2. Widowmaker in Overwatch has the same abilities as the Scout & Winston has jump attack & rage mode like a Tyrant.
You could use all the same weapons from Nosgoth as Squenix can't copyright bows, flintlocks or grenade launchers, the repeater crossbow might be a different story, I dunno if that's unique or something you can find in other games. 
Blinding shot, acid bombs, healing flasks, bolas, eldritch shields...none of it is actually original. 

You could have it set in a Soul Reaveresque wasteland with grey/green distance fog & ruins everywhere with Soul Reaver style music, less orchestral & more synth like the other LOK games. Give the humans rusted, scratched up armour that's held together with belts etc like the vampire hunters in Soul Reaver probably would be if the graphics were more detailed. You just need to make the vampires something else, demons, whatever.

Then we could have Nosgoth again. One of the main attractions for me was that it was a LOK game & it had the clans but without that you still have an awesome game.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Your hearing would be correct; there are a group of fans attempting to make a game, and those are some very good points and suggestions! I believe atm the group are looking for individuals with experience in the field (programmers, designers, writers etc), I think it’s a case of many hands make light work.  Very Happy
:humans:
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2