Nosgoth Alternatives

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nosgoth Alternatives Empty Nosgoth Alternatives

Post by Grisamentum Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey, so I've been looking for a replacement competitive, multiplayer online game since Nosgoth's cancellation was announced. Some of these are posted on the Facebook page but not everyone is on that so I thought I'd post them here & maybe other people can post any other suggestions they have.

Loadout : 

Aesthetically it's not really my kind of thing but it does look fun & it's f2p. Supposedly the PC community is dead these days so it might not be worth bothering with.

Savage Resurrection :

Costs like £20 on Steam...supposed to be asymmetrical. Looks kinda like Skyrim but with some generic alien monster things chucked in.

Natural Slection 2 :

Costs £7 on Steam. Gameplay is asymmetrical with guns for the humans & melee for the aliens.
Looks a bit cartoony but the monsters are pretty cool & the environments look nice, imo. Probably the best option I've found so far.

Skara :

Closed beta, f2p on Steam. Looks kinda cool but after fighting bots in the arena above for 10 minutes I switched off. After 10 minutes of Nosgoth I was hooked, btw.   Smile
You'll notice the skill icons are pretty much the same as Nosgoth with a silhouette infront of a coloured background. I'll give it another try one day, probably.

Warframe :

F2p on Steam. I think the aliens look cool but not particularly interested in anything else going on there.

Left 4 Dead 2 :

Costs £15 on Steam. Asymmetrical with guns for humans & melee attacks for the infected. Looks alot like Nosgoth in numerous ways - the Charger charges like the Tyrant, Hunter pounces just like a Reaver, Spitter can spit acid similar to choking haze. Not sure how many people are playing it online these days. Looks pretty cool, though.

That's all I have for now.

Last edited by Varulven on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Youtube links are working now :))
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Nosgoth Alternatives Empty Re: Nosgoth Alternatives

Post by lucinvampire Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:24 pm

So far I've tried Skara, and it was good but I too haven't been completely sucked into it, maybe when there's more players it'll keep me entertained more. It doesn't have the same call as Nosgoth.

I've also tried Warframe which is pretty enjoyable, I've only tried the co-op thing though and not PvP yet until I get the hang of it...but basically my Tenno is a Scout - I have a bow and throwing knives  xD

I tried out Zombie Army Trilogy the other night on co-op, that was pretty much an intense experience. I suspect my neighbours wondered what's going on with me scream and shouting "aaahhhh its a zombie!"

Yet to try the other games on the list though, I think Natural Selection is on the list but I haven't got it yet. I'm not really into cartoony stuff, I prefer my games with a little more blood and stuff.

Doom looks pretty good it's just a shame its first person.

If anyone does find a good replacement please share, at the moment I feel lost and lonely.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

http://www.talesofnosgoth.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Varulven Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Oh, I also got something for you!
Aliens vs Predator (2010)
Varulven
Varulven
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 pm

That looks pretty cool, Varulven. I wonder if anyone still plays it online. 
Zombie Army looks awesome, Lucin. Is it really frightening or do you just scare easily? The screams the zombies make are seriously cool. Reminds me of the hunter in Left 4 Dead.
You don't like 1st person perspective? I think it's easier for shooters though I do like to see my character now & again especially if they look awesome like the Prophet from Nosgoth, for example.

I found another asymmetrical multiplayer called Depth :

It's about £18 on Steam. I think it looks cool but the sharks seem to come out of nowhere & kill people & the only way to detect them is with extra gear you need to buy. Don't know if it's pay 2 win but there doesn't seem to be loads of skill involved. But I've never played so could be wrong.

Zombie Army :

Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by Varulven Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:30 pm

AFAIK it's still a thing. I bought the game a few days ago and will play the story mode first. Then I'll have a look on the online PVP myself Wink
Varulven
Varulven
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:08 pm

@ Varulen – is AVP 2010 like first person or third? I would love to (attempt) to kick your butt considering I know you’re an Alien girl and I’m down with the Predators  Razz

@ Grisamentum – Zombie Army is good, it’s me being a wimp, I really get into games (like far too much) and chose to play it in the house alone in the dark so it’s my own fault. It’s probably not scary at all.

Sadly 1st person doesn’t agree with me too well, I can’t play any longer than 30mins or some otherwise I start feeling ill…but for those 30 mins I basically just get stuck in a corner as I can’t control it – maybe though I should give it another bash and see if I’m still screwed by it. (It might be different on PC than console).

Depth – I can’t believe that’s an actual game, it looks amusing, I might have to wait until it's on a deal just to buy it for a few quid just to be a shark and eat someone.  Razz
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Varulven Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:15 pm

It's 1st person Smile I also thougt I would have issues to handle it, but I adapted to it quite well. Awww I'd love to stick my inner jaws into your Pred head :DD
Varulven
Varulven
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Yeah if you get seasick from 1st person games then it's probably gonna be a million times worse playing as an alien & crawling all over the walls.
I've got the AVP from 1999 & it's a bit tricky getting the hang of the alien. You can crawl on any surface.

Varulven - I was reading about it on Steam & the multiplayer is still active apparently. I might try it.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:23 pm

It turns out when I got home I looked at my games and have AVP on PS3, not Steam, maybe I'll try that version and if I can cope and not spew I'll try it on Steam.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:22 am

Varulven wrote:Awww I'd love to stick my inner jaws into your Pred head :DD

That's not the only option...

Last edited by Grisamentum on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Grisamentum wrote:
Varulven wrote:Awww I'd love to stick my inner jaws into your Pred head :DD

That's not the only option...

Alien is PS4 & XBox only. Predator you can get on PC, though Wink

I've so got to get MKX, played it at EGX in 2014 and been meaning to get hold of it since! Very Happy I knew Alien was in it but not Predator...now I've got to get it!
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Get it it's awesome! Alien is only available on consoles, though but you can get Predator & Jason from Friday the 13th on PC. They stopped supporting it on PC after the first DLC which is why it has mostly negative reviews on Steam now. 
You can get this alternate skin for Jax which makes him look like Carl Weathers/Dillon from Predator, btw.

Did you play MK9? It's got Freddy Krueger in it...he's from the remake but he looks good & he's fun to play.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by Louves Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 pm

If you look for a shooter I can recommend Overwatch. I am playing it right now with some of my good old Nosgoth friends and have a lot of fun. It's not an asymetric multiplayer game tho. But it has really interessting characters (heroes) and a rich backstory.

Everytime I play it it reminds me how good of a game Nosgoth could have been when developed by someone else. Neutral

Last edited by Louves on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louves
Louves

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:16 am

I was thinking of playing that. Lots of people on Nosgoth said they were moving to it once the game was shut down.
The gorilla called Winston looks cool & the Reaper aswell.
Does it take long to find matches or can you have private ones with friends?
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by Louves Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:02 pm

It usually takes about 10-30 seconds to find a match and yes you can create private matches and you can even add bots. The party system works fine and you can party up with up to 5 friends. Parties with more players usually need more time to find a match (about 1 minute)  but in the meanwhile you can play skirmishes (playing without objectives, basically just for fun).
Louves
Louves

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 am

Hmmm it sounds interesting. I might try it. It's a bit cute looking for my tastes but it sounds fun.

Found this today : 

It's an asymmetrical multiplayer, fps for the humans & 3rd person for dinosaurs. You can play a pteranodon & kidnap people like a sentinel Smile
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Grisamentum wrote:I might try it. It's a bit cute looking for my tastes but it sounds fun.

It's an asymmetrical multiplayer, fps for the humans & 3rd person for dinosaurs. You can play a pteranodon & kidnap people like a sentinel Smile

I'm totally there with you I think if I played Overwatch I'd need some shades, its too bright, cartoony and kiddy for my tastes sadly. Is there a third person view or just first-person?

Laughing  That Primal Carnage looks amusing.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 pm

It's just first person. It pops into third temporarily for some abilities but only for a short while.

Here's a video of one of the characters called Winston. Despite the cartoony look, knowing that I can basically play a Tyrant with enrage & jump abilities is starting to change my mind about it Razz

Edit : Ok this is kinda weird. Widowmaker is a sniper with a grappling hook who can drop mines which explode when the enemy walks on them...

And Reaper has a move called 'wraith form' where he moves faster & can't be hit temporarily but also can't attack (evasion) & a teleport move called SHADOW STEP :

Hanzo uses a Stormbow...'sonic arrow' reveals enemies on impact...kind of like mark target but it doesn't make them take more damage :

Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Hmmm *coughcoughcough*nosgothripoff*coughcoughcough* sorry I appear to have a frog in my throat.

Joking aside there's some very similar abilities there from what you've mentioned! If only the game was a little more adult looking rather than looking like it was made for 10 year olds...maybe in time I'll have a look at it but will wait for the price to come down a little first just in case I don't like it/can't play because it's FPS.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Yeah the Reaver rip off was a bit of a surprise. I suppose the others aren't that unique to begin with but all together in the same game it seems like a weird coincidence

This Chinese game developer has totally ripped off Overwatch, btw. I wonder what they would do if they accidentally got their hands on the Nosgoth assets... Very Happy

Btw in the Steam sale that is on right now you can get some of the games I listed for dirt cheap :

Alien Vs Predator is £2.50

Natural Selection 2 is £3.49

Primal Carnage : Extinction is £4.49

Depth is £4.74

Zombie Army Trilogy is £5.99

Also Injustice : Gods Among Us is £3.74. It's made by Nether Realm Studios & is basically Mortal Kombat with DC comic book characters.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Grisamentum wrote:This Chinese game developer has totally ripped off Overwatch, btw. I wonder what they would do if they accidentally got their hands on the Nosgoth assets... Very Happy

Btw in the Steam sale that is on right now you can get some of the games I listed for dirt cheap :

Hmm interesting idea Wink

Thanks for the information that these are on the Steam sale, time to get me some of these games I think.

Has anyone tried Hazard Ops? I don't know how much community is still about for this one though.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Yeah I'm getting all of them except Natural Selection. Not so interested in that right now.
I checked out Hazard Ops. Some of it looks ok, some of it looks awesome & some of it looks pants. There are mutant people that look like tyrants from Resident Evil in one of the videos on Steam. They looked pretty cool.
It's f2p so worth a try I guess.

I got Depth. I've only played a couple of matches so far but it's pretty cool. It only took about 20 seconds to find a match & there was no lag at all (or rude, annoying players). The sharks usually burst out of nowhere & kill you in one bite (if they get you). There is some kind of sensor that beats more rapidly as they approach but it doesn't tell you which direction they are coming from. It's not like Nosgoth where you switch sides so you get to play both. I played human each game. You can choose a side & look for a game that way but it was taking a while so I just chose to play as either.
It's worth the £5 for sure. Maybe £10. Dunno if I would pay full price for it but I haven't played that much so haven't seen all it has to offer yet.

Left 4 Dead 2 is like £3 in the sale, btw. I'll probably get that since it seems like the prototype for Nosgoth in some ways.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks for the information on Depth, once you've played a bit more let me know how it goes.

It's a shame Left 4 Dead 2 is only First Person otherwise I'd probably get it.

Oh so in relation to your earlier post about the Overwatch rip off, I found out how that company can get away with it, is that China doesn't have copyright laws like here (apparently Cyprus doesn't either), just thought I'd share so you know why they never got into trouble with it. I don't know how true it is though.
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grisamentum Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Yeah alot of places in Asia don't have copyright laws or they only have one or two that are really old & don't really work these days.

So I got Left 4 Dead 2 & Primal Carnage & Zombie Army & AvP 2010.

Left 4 Dead 2 multiplayer hasn't really impressed me so far. It has a few different modes & I only tried 2 of them aswell as the single player campaign (which you can play alone with computer controlled teammates or with 3 friends). On the 2 different multiplayer modes I tried if you play as infected you change class each time you die & you can't choose which one you want to be. 
You only have a melee attack & 1 ability which takes ages to recharge. You can climb walls in some places where they have this dodgy looking moving hands marker thing telling you that you can climb there.
You have hardly any health so I always died within seconds. It's first person for both sides but jumps into 3rd if you do pounce or certain other attacks.
Single player is fun but I wouldn't recommend it for a multiplayer alternative to Nosgoth.

Having played Depth more I think it doesn't really have much more to offer. Again you have almost no health so if you don't shoot a shark first then you can't kill it once it's grabbed you (you can stab them while you're in their mouth). The default gun has about 4 shots in it & you can kill a shark with that. 
Sharks can see you through walls so you can't hide. Playing as a shark you basically have to rush in & grab someone then swim off with them & kill them before you get ploughed by the other team. There are about 5 different kinds of shark but I didn't notice much difference about them. Same goes for humans aswell. It's not like Nosgoth where every class had a counter class (more or less) on the opposing side.
I've only played a few hours but haven't encountered any bugs or lag & it took me on average 20 seconds to get a game. If you choose any side it's a matter of seconds but if you specify then it takes longer, like 3 minutes was the most I awaited.

Primal Carnage is kind of cool, the graphics are good, the controls are good, again no bugs or lag like Depth & you just have a list of active games & you join one so there's no wait time. The only problem I have with it really is there are no impact sounds when you attack things as a dinosaur. You're tearing someone up & you hear nothing so it feels totally powerless. It's not something that's put me off entirely but it's a ridiculous thing to leave out.
The melee combat in Nosgoth wasn't that different to Soul Reaver 2 but the sound design was way better so it was much more satisfying tearing people up. It's an important thing.

It's 1st person if you're human but 3rd for dinos. Matches have lots of players (like 10 or more maybe) & seem like this crazy free for all where people just run around all over the place. There's no strategy or teamwork that I've seen so far. 
The only dino I was any good with was the raptor which has a pounce move like reaver although it was harder to aim (as is the hunter's pounce in L4D2). Apart from that it can slash with it's claws. That's it as far as I'm aware.
The only human I could play remotely well was this guy with a flame thrower. The others I was terrible with. 
It's kind of addictive despite the issues I have with it. It's only £5 right now but if I paid more I would be slightly annoyed.

I haven't played AvP or Zombie Army yet.

I'd never actually played a multiplayer pvp online game before Nosgoth & since trying out these other games I've realised :
A) How buggy Nosgoth was. I've had no problems with L4D2 or Depth or Primal Carnage.
B) How bad the wait times were in Nosgoth. Those other 3 games I've had to wait seconds, generally. Nosgoth it could be 10 minutes + sometimes.
C) How much better Nosgoth was than all of the above.
The maps were so well designed & you were really meant to learn the layout & find all the vantage points where you could spy on humans from or pick off vampires from or throw an airstrike without being seen. There was no one place it was always safe for humans to camp in or for vampires to attack from.
Since it was about teamwork all the attacks were meant to work together so you could for example use Summoner's shield to protect a Deceiver as he DM's someone or you could use wing flap to knock people over so they take the full damage from choking haze or abyssal bolt.

Those 3 games I've tried are nothing like that. L4D2 does have some attacks like the smoker can grab you & stop you running away so another player can melee you to death or spray acid on you but Depth & Primal Carnage don't have anything like that. The maps don't seem to be designed with the intent that you're going to learn them & use the layout to your advantage. Depth just has these flooded buildings at the bottom of the sea. Primal Carnage has these sprawling jungles mostly. L4D is a bit smarter but not much from what I've seen.

It makes me wonder why they made such bad decisions for Nosgoth when the core game was so great. It was full of bugs they never fixed, it ran like crap & being free to play was wrong. It should have been pay to play. Depth & PC aren't f2p & they've got loads of players. L4D2 had over 16,000 online when I played it last night.
It's not just cos I'm a fan of LOK but I honestly think Nosgoth was the best online multiplayer pvp game.
None of the others I've tried are as clever or show the same attention to detail in the character classes or level design.

Do you have Zombie Army, Lucin? Or did you just play it at a friends? I haven't tried it but I think the multiplayer is like this wave/horde mode thing & you & a bunch of other people shoot computer controlled zombies together.
Grisamentum
Grisamentum

Back to top Go down

Post by lucinvampire Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:14 pm

That sucks that nothing is comparing, I completely agree is Nosgoth's bugs were fixed and the love the game deserved was given to it - it would be a unique and brilliant game compared to everything else out there. It was a great game even with all the errors!

I tend to play Zombie Army Trilogy with a friend on co-op mode and we do the missions, the only thing is with this you need a good couple of hours to complete each one.

Suppose our search for a replacement game continues Sad
lucinvampire
lucinvampire
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next